Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's the plural of apocalypse?

I love me some apocalypse, be it zombie, nuclear or other. I guess I'm a little strange in that I think way too much about what I would do if the world were thrown into chaos and I was one of the few survivors. Because I am about 99% sure I would survive. No reasoning or logic behind that number, I just know.

I recently found out that I'm not alone in this slightly morbid line of thinking. I inherited it from my dad, apparently. On a visit last summer we spent hours talking about how much we love apocalypses, what our plans would be, where we'd go, what we'd do, etc. He even had his eye on a piece of land that was easily defend-able and had an ample supply of fresh water. How awesome is that?

But I guess when it comes down to it, I would really prefer to experience an apocalypse from afar. So of course it's my favorite genre of book, movie and TV show. I just finished watching the complete BBC series Survivors. So good! The basic storyline is there's a super mega-flu and it kills 99% of the population. Abby meets Greg on the road and they end up forming a little group of survivors while searching for Abby's son. The characters are pretty great. I'd go into more detail, but I don't want to spoil anything. I'll just say that they evolve so slowly and so perfectly you don't even notice when you go from hating to loving some of them.

But now I have some bad news and some good news. Which do you want first. Bad news? Okay... BBC canceled the show after 12 episodes, at the end of season two. So sad.

But the good news... It's definitely worth a watch and is available instantly on Netflix. Yay!

And just for fun, here's a list of other apocalypse-related stuff that I love:
  • Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler - My favorite book of all time, no question. This is the book that made me love sci-fi, apocalypses and helped me learn to think for myself, especially where religion is concerned. Read it. Now.
  • Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank - My dad recommended this book to me and it was awesome. It's set in (and was written in) the 1950s. Not only a great nuclear apocalypse story, but an interesting glimpse into race and gender roles at the time.
  • Zombieland - Fun and funny. Best zombie movie ever.
  • The Walking Dead - Excellent new series on AMC. Graphic and violent and fan-freaking-tastic. Really kind of pushes the envelope for violence on TV, but at the same time it has a good storyline. Unfortunately though, everytime I think of or talk about the title of this show I get Surfin' Dead by The Cramps stuck in my head. Luckily I love The Cramps.
I was going to link to a video of Surfin' Dead, but sadly that one is nowhere to be found online. Instead, please to enjoy Ultra Twist. It's not very end-of-the-worldy, but it's still a kick-ass song.

1 comment:

Chocolate-Covered Katie said...

LOL I still don't understand twitter, but I was so excited to see my name mentioned in your tweet! Made me feel special :). Thanks, girl! :)